Friday, March 26, 2010

Yes, I am ( )....

Parenthesis. Many of the people I work with do not say the word "pregnant" because it has bad social implications in their culture. In the last week or so people who have wanted to inquire about my status have looked at me, pointed and made parenthesis with their hands. This avoidance of the word strikes me as hilarious. I told a gesturing colleague that I wanted to be an exclamation point, but it was already taken so I had to be the parenthesis. I told someone else that I didn't want to appear confused all the time, so I didn't pick a question mark. Humor is apparently for my benefit only as these jokes appear to get lost in translation.

Someone else refrained from the gesture and asked if I had something growing. Probably super inappropriate on my part, but I said, yes I do I have a mass growing rapidly inside of me. She apologized profusely and all I could do was laugh. I told her she didn't need to apologize and that I did not have a something, but a someONE growing inside of me.

My principal says that I am with child. I find this phrase funny too. I wonder if in a few weeks or months, instead of parenthesis I will be more { } or even [ ]. Stay tuned for pregnancy-related humor, updates, and what not.

No comments:

Post a Comment