Thursday, May 17, 2012

Funny things about being pregnant while caring for a toddler

Pregnancy is different for each woman.  Women come into pregnancy with different expectations, at different stages of life and  have different reactions to the physical and emotional changes.  This makes sense, right?  What I did not realize was that being pregnant while caring for my older daughter would make this pregnancy more interesting and humorous to say the least.

A few weeks back I must have taken on the pregnancy habit of moaning or groaning when I dropped something and I drop things all the time.  Any of you who know me outside of the blogosphere know that I am a pretty clumsy person.  About a week or two ago,  Madison dropped something and made a groaning sound, pointed at the dropped object, groaned again, and said "mama".  She cracked herself up with this routine for several days.  If that wasn't enough, she also started making the groaning sound when she saw me drop something.  

Apparently I did not learn from this though.  I continued to be pregnant and clumsy which means that I continued to drop things and as anyone knows, it gets increasingly more difficult to bend down and pick stuff up.  ( I will pick up anything I drop that might be dangerous to her, like sharp objects or choking hazards, regardless of I am feeling at that moment).  So I guess I started dropping things, Madison continued to notice and at some point along the way I said "Daddy will pick that up later".  Now when there is something on the floor ( a toy she dropped, a piece of prechewed and then rejected food, etc) she points at it and says "daddy" with a huge smile across her face. She is just imitating me and my bad behavior, but remains pretty good about cleaning up her toys when asked.  

Finally,  we are working hard to end her diaper days.  As any one who has ever gone through this process with a young child knows,  this means lots of trips to the potty.  More and more frequently, I am the one who needs to go when I am taking her!  She uses the potty, does her business, and immediately points to me, makes one of the two or three potty signs and points to the toilet.  She will stand there while I do my business,  often make a few more potty signs and point to the toilet paper when I am all done.  Sometimes she even claps when I finish!  We wash our hands and move on and then repeat, usually within an hour.  While I am excited about her progress in using the potty,  I am even more appreciative of the moments when I have the opportunity to do my business in peace and solitude!

No comments:

Post a Comment