Monday, June 25, 2012

What NOT to say

Here are some things you a non pregnant but well meaning person should avoid saying to a pregnant lady in your life:

"WOW  you look like you are gonna pop any day now!"
Uhhh great thanks,  I still have  more than 7 full weeks to go.

"Well you look like you're due July first!"
Thanks again,  that is a full four weeks ahead of my due date

"You look really tiny,  are you sure there is an actual, healthy baby in there?"
Yup,  I am sure

"Oh wow,  your ankles are really swollen" 
No they aren't actually, today is a good day.   Why are you looking at my ankles?

These few comments all pertain to my size and appearance.  You are not a medical professional.  You do not know my weight gain or fundal height.  My midwife,  who measures these things at each appointment does.  She is tracking them.  She assures me that everything in the measurement department is as it out to be.    This is my second baby.  Things may look bigger or smaller than you expect them to but your comments don't make me feel stellar and don't lead to additional conversation.  And really, why are you looking at my ankles?

A few more comments:
"You have to go to the bathroom again?"
Uhhh actually yes, yes I do.  There is someone the size of a melon snuggling with my bladder.  Do you know what that feels like?

"I can see that you are pregnant, but that doesn't mean that I am going to let you cut me in line" (This was said on a fairly hot day at a public restroom that was relatively crowded).  It should just be noted that I did not ask if I could cut or not.  I did not make assumptions.  I was just standing in line,  minding my own business and trying to not pee on myself!

"Baby care items are located over there" (said by a drugstore worker when I entered the store)
Obviously a pregnant lady is only there to buy diapers and wipes and other baby related items.  I positively do not need any items for personal care, greeting cards or any thing else you sell.

"Does the baby enjoy that food?  
I don't know if she enjoys it or not, she hasn't said. But as soon as she lets me know, I will tell you.





No comments:

Post a Comment